home life blog


i came across this blog the other day when i was looking for sewing ideas for young boys. apparently this is a god fearing, mother of five (soon to be six!) keeping this lovely blog. they live somewhere near cooperstown, ny which is one of my favorite areas! i love it because they live in such an old fashioned way, the kids are home-schooled, and the photos are lovely. i think it's an interesting peak into another way of home life.

as for the sewing research - she mentioned the ottobre magazine that has finnish children's clothing patterns. the styles can be a little embellished (maybe it's the crazy fabric or punk hairstyles that distract me), but there's a lot of cute ones i would love to take on. i wonder if the library has this subscription... probably pushing my luck.

2 comments:

cara | 10/08/2010 3:22 PM

It's nice to see a down to earth "non-hipster" blog out there. Sometimes I feel like 95% of blogs are soooo hipster.

Those ottobre pics are adorable. I love the little pea coat! When I was at Joann's the other day I saw some german pattern book there but didn't have much time to flip through it. The kid patterns in the McCalls and Butterick are for the most part totally hideous. I'll see how complex the vintage pattern turns out to be for etta's Halloween costume to see if I want to search out any more vintage patterns. I bet you could find lots of vintage little boy stuff.

Unknown | 10/08/2010 8:21 PM

Here in Portland at Modern Domestic they have a class for "decoding" japanese patterns. I am curious to take that because they do have some pretty rad patterns. after some googling, i just came across this blog post about japanese sewing help: http://alittleredribbon.blogspot.com/2009/06/free-stuff-i-love-help-with-japanese.html

Post a Comment